Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Activity 1: Scientific Method and States of Matter


Question 1: Does hot water or cold water freeze faster?

Hypothesis: I believe that the cold water will freeze faster, due to the fact that the molecules are at a slower rate of movement so they will be able to become solid more quickly than the faster moving molecules of the hot water.

Materials:

1.     1 timer
2.     1 measuring cup
3.     Six small plastic cups
4.     Hot water
5.     Cold water
6.     Labels for cups
7.     Freezer at constant temperature
8.     Chart for making observations

Controlled Variables:

1.     Temperature of freezer, same freezer
2.     Size of cups
3.     Amount of water in cups

Data:

Water
Time Test 1
Time Test 2
Time Test 3
Average Time
Hot Water
64.33
66.4
62.41
64.38
Cold Water
54.23
54.45
53.58
54.09

Conclusion: Cold water freezes faster than hot water.

Theory:  I believe that because of the molecules moving at a faster rate in the hot water, they had to slow down much more before they could be condensed together into ice. This is why it took the hot water so much longer to freeze than the cold water. In my experiment the average times were almost a whole minute apart.



Question 2: Does cold water or hot water boil fast?

Hypothesis: I believe that hot water will boil faster because the molecules are already moving faster so they will have more energy in them making them boil faster than cold water.

Materials:

1.     Kitchen stovetop
2.     Kitchen pot
3.     Hot and cold water
4.     Timer
      
     Controlled variables:

1.     Same stove
2.     Same pot
3.     Same amount of water











The setting on the stove was kept consistent at High for each test.

























Data:

Water
Time Test 1
Time Test 2
Time Test 3
Average Time
Hot Water
2.03
2.1
2.21
2.11
Cold Water
3.08
2.58
2.4
2.69

Conclusion: Hot water boils faster than cold water.

Theory: I believe that due to the data recorded that Hot water does in fact boil faster than cold water.  Based off of these findings, I believe it is because the molecules in hot water are already moving at a faster rate.  Molecules that are moving faster have more energy, allowing them to become hotter faster and change from hot to boiling.




Question 3: Does salt water or regular water freeze faster?

Hypothesis: I believe that the salt water will freeze slower because the salt keeps the water molecules from attaching to each other at the same rate as if there was no salt.

Materials:
1.     Salt
2.     Water
3.     Same size cups
4.     Measuring cups
5.     Freezer
6.     Timer

Controlled Variables:
1.     Amount of water
2.     Same Freezer
3.     Amount of Salt

Data:

Water
Time Test 1
Time Test 2
Time Test 3
Average Time
Salt Water
67.04
68.11
68.38
67.84
Plain Water
55.3
64.1
64.03
61.14

Conclusion: Salt water freezes slower than regular water.

Theory: I found that the water with the salt solution froze much slower than the regular water.  I believe this occurred because of the added substance in the water than slowed down the freezing process. The water needed to overcome the solution of salt before it could freeze, which took longer than the regular water did.



Images:

Water Molecule

Saltwater molecules

Salt Molecule






















Video of the structure of water molecules in the three stages of matter.


Scientific Method:

1.     Ask A Question: In this phase it is important that you ask a question so that you have a specific set of data to be tested and looked at.  In my experiments we were looking to see if water boiled and froze at different rates related to their current temperature and if they had a different mixture such as salt.

2.    Do Background Research: It is very important to get background information for your studies before you begin an experiment so that you have some knowledge of what you are to be looking for and how the process will take place.  For me, I looked up the images of the water molecules again so that I could make accurate hypotheses before taking part in the experiments on my own.

3.    Construct a Hypothesis: This is very important for an experiment, because you need to be looking for something specific and you won’t know if the experiment has worked or failed if you haven’t made a hypothesis.  The hypothesis tells what you might think before you have done an experiment. I used what I already knew about water molecules to decide which type of water would freeze or boil faster.

4.    Test Your Hypothesis with experimentation: During the testing is when we take measurements and write data to discover if our hypotheses are correct or false.  We document the results we find and use that data to make charts, graphs, and tables to solve our questions. Using the process of testing each question three times I was able to get a more accurate set of data to fill in my chart.  I could use averages, which makes the experiment more accurate.

5.    Analyze your data: This is a very important step because we look at our information to decide if our hypotheses are correct.  In my case, I was correct in thinking that hot water would boil faster, and that cold water would freeze faster, also that salt water would freeze slower.  We use what we learned in the experiments to find our answer.

6.    Communicate your results: When we do experiments we must show that we have found answers to our questions so we have to state what we have found and why it has happened that way.  This makes for more clear and accurate information about any certain experiment or question.

Repeatability of an experiment:

It is very important to repeat an experiment in order to get an accurate result.  In this case, I repeated each of my experiments three times in order to take an average of each testing.  This allowed me to have more data used creating a more accurate and truthful result and conclusion.  By taking more than one measurement I am able to view more data and be able to write a better conclusion to my findings.  By doing it more than once, I also lower my chances of error while documenting my data.

My experiment and its connections to real life

      The scientific concepts I looked at and worked with in these experiments are the states of matter in relation to the molecule of water.  Through careful observation and testing, I worked with water in each of its stages.  Its solid state was tested through discovering if hot or cold water froze faster, its liquid state was also seen in this experiment as well as in the mixture of salt to determine if the addition of salt would hinder or aid in the freezing process.  Waters gas form was also witnessed in the experiment with boiling points.  I found that water that is hot would make its state change more quickly into a gas, as steam, faster than colder water.
      In my experiments I took three testing samples in each of the questions being asked in order to gain a more accurate result.  I used careful measurements such as 1 cup of water for boiling, and ½ cup of water for freezing in order to keep consistent variables.  In each of my experiments I also documented the time it took for each change being tested to occur.  In the boiling experiment I watched closely with my timer to document the exact moment of a boil.  I believed that the hot water would boil faster than the cold, and with my data collected I concurred that my hypothesis was indeed correct.  For the freezing test with hot and cold water I hypothesized that the cold would freeze faster, and was also correct.  This was because I used my knowledge of molecules to note that the faster they are moving the slower they would freeze.  In the experiment with salt I also hypothesized that the salt would freeze slower.  I decided this through outside knowledge about ice on the ground in winter. We use salt to melt the ice outside during the cold winter months.

      To use these experiments in real life I believe would be both helpful and timely.  If I were to be boiling pasta for a team dinner I would know that by starting with hot water I could boil faster.  Also, that if I needed ice cubes quickly I would use cold water, because that would freeze much quicker than warm water.  And of course I already use salt on my sidewalk, so I can continue that process knowing it is actually making the sidewalk safer for myself and others walking on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment